Extremely cold hardy tree.
Common Name: Boxelder, Ash-leaved Maple, Box Elder
Extremely cold hardy tree native to a very large area of North America. While it has little landscape value in our opinion, it is used heavily by wildlife. It has yellowish-green 3 to 5 leaflets that turn a poor light yellow in fall. Plain brown furrowed bark and stout green twigs. It is a common pioneer tree species colonizing open fields and producing an open pioneer forest.
- Plant Type: Shade & Flowering tree
- Plant Hardiness Zone: 3a-9b
- Height: 30' - 50'
- width: 30' - 50'
- Soil Needs: Adaptable, Well-Drained
- Water Needs: Even Moisture - Regular
- Sun Exposure: Sun
- Foliage Color: Green
- Foliage Season: Deciduous
- Flower Season: Spring