Woody perennial vine of hardwood forests.
Common Name: Bittersweet, American Bittersweet
This vine can reach up to 50 feet if it has tree trunks to twine on, otherwise it takes on more of a spreading shrub-like form. Bright orange berries appear in late fall to make this one of our most ornamental native vines. It makes a great Christmas wreath or centerpiece on the Thanksgiving table, and grows best on trellises, pergolas, and tree trunks.
- Plant Type: Perennial / Ornamental Grass
- Plant Hardiness Zone: 3a-10b
- Height: 10' - 20'
- width: 3'
- Soil Needs: Adaptable, Well-Drained
- Water Needs: Regular
- Sun Exposure: Sun - Mostly Shade
- Foliage Color: Green
- Foliage Season: Deciduous
- Flower Season: Summer