Imperata cylindrica 'Rubra'
Young leaves emerge green with red tips.
Common Name: Imperata cylindrica 'Red Baron', Red Baron Blood Grass, Japanese Blood Grass
A medium, winter dormant, perennial grass. Narrow, mid green leaves, rise vertically from a slowly spreading root stock. The end portion of each leaf is painted a deep blood red. As the summer progresses the red intensifies until the top half (or more) of each leaf is a stunning, deep red. It rarely (if ever) flowers. Best results if you cut it off to the ground every winter after it turns brown. Growth Rate slow.
- Plant Type: Shade & Flowering treePerennial / Ornamental Grass
- Plant Hardiness Zone: 5a-9b
- Height: 12' - 18'
- width: 4' - 2'
- Soil Needs: Average, Well-Drained, Rich
- Water Needs: Even Moisture - Regular
- Sun Exposure: Sun - Mostly Shade
- Foliage Color: Variegated, Red, Green
- Foliage Season: Deciduous
- Flower Season: Summer, Fall