Acer palmatum 'Emperor 1'
Better leaf color retention.
Common Name: Acer palmatum 'Red Emperor', Acer palmatum 'Wolff', Acer palmatum 'Emperor I', Emperor 1 Japanese Maple, Red Emperor Japanese Maple
This vigorous, deep purple-red Japanese maple resembles 'Bloodgood,' but has better leaf color retention, and the advantage of leafing out two weeks later. A hardy, upright tree with a broad canopy, it makes a striking focal point in the large landscape. In fall, foliage turns dark crimson.
- Plant Type: Shade & Flowering tree
- Plant Hardiness Zone: 6a-9b
- Height: 12' - 20'
- width: 10' - 15'
- Soil Needs: Well-Drained, Rich
- Water Needs: Even Moisture - Drought Tolerant
- Sun Exposure: Sun - Mostly Shade
- Foliage Color: Red, Burgundy
- Foliage Season: Deciduous
- Flower Season: Spring