Acer palmatum 'Shishigashira'
Leaves are small and crinkled.
Common Name: Acer palmatum 'Ribesifolium', Acer palmatum 'Crispum', Japanese Maple, Lion's Head Maple, Lion's Mane Maple
A slow growing variety very popular for bonsai use, it produces tight tufts of foliage with sections of trunk between branch sets, making this one of the most distinctively shaped cultivars. The leaves are also often ribbed or curled in a very attractive manner, and the small size of the leaves is one of the aspects that lends plants to be sought after for bonsai. This unique maple does fairly well in full sun with minimal sunburn. Fall color is gold with rose and crimson tones.
- Plant Type: Deciduous shrub
- Plant Hardiness Zone: 6a-10b
- Height: 10' - 15'
- width: 6' - 8'
- Soil Needs: Well-Drained, Rich
- Water Needs: Even Moisture - Regular
- Sun Exposure: Sun - Mostly Shade
- Foliage Color: Green
- Foliage Season: Deciduous
- Flower Season: Spring