Berberis thunbergii 'Bagatelle'
A purple cushion of foliage.
Common Name: Bagatelle Barberry, Bagatella Barberry
Bagatelle is one of the smallest of the barberries. Deep burgundy red foliage turns somewhat more green in the heat of summer. This is an extremely tidy, compact form of Barberry. One of the most dwarf forms. Like all of this species, produces yellow flowers in spring, bright red, oblong fruit in autumn which is loved by birds. Forms a perfect, tight little mound and in Fall develops a color described by someone as a "screaming scarlet". Takes bright full sun.
- Plant Type: Deciduous shrub
- Plant Hardiness Zone: 4a-8b
- Height: 12' - 2'
- width: 18' - 2'
- Soil Needs: Well-Drained, Rich
- Water Needs: Drought Tolerant
- Sun Exposure: Sun - Mostly Shade
- Foliage Color: Purple
- Foliage Season: Deciduous
- Flower Season: Spring