Berberis thunbergii var. atropurpurea 'Crimson Pygmy'
Excellent low hedge or tall groundcover.
Common Name: Berberis thunbergii 'Crimson Pygmy', Japanese Barberry, Dwarf Redleaf Barberry, Crimson Pygmy Dwarf Barberry, Crimson Pygmy Barberry
This dwarf deciduous shrub makes an excellent choice for groupings or as a low accent hedge. Another asset is its dark red foliage, which it features throughout the summer. Leaves change to orange, red and yellow in the fall months, and hold their color best when planted in full sun. Plant in well-drained soil. Responds well to pruning.
- Plant Type: Deciduous shrub
- Plant Hardiness Zone: 4a-8b
- Height: 2' - 3'
- width: 2' - 3'
- Soil Needs: Adaptable, Well-Drained
- Water Needs: Even Moisture - Low
- Sun Exposure: Sun - Mostly Shade
- Foliage Color: Red, Purple
- Foliage Season: Deciduous
- Flower Season: Spring