small, low-branched, dense, rounded, deciduous tree
Common Name: Hedge Maple, Field Maple
Acer campestre is commonly called hedge maple. It is native to Europe and western Asia, frequently being found on plains, hills and along rivers. It is also sometimes commonly called field maple (campestre meaning from fields). This is a small, low-branched, dense, rounded, deciduous tree or large multi-stemmed shrub that typically grows in cultivation to 25-35? tall. As the common name suggests, it may be pruned to form a tall hedge. In England it is often included in hedgerows.
- Plant Type: Shade & Flowering tree
- Plant Hardiness Zone: 5a-9b
- Height: 20' - 30'
- width: 25' - 35'
- Soil Needs: Adaptable, Well-Drained
- Water Needs: Regular - Drought Tolerant
- Sun Exposure: Sun - Mostly Shade
- Foliage Color: Green
- Foliage Season: Deciduous
- Flower Season: Spring